Thursday, June 14, 2012

The sister that I never had.

Growing up with 4 brothers was quite a challenge. My girl friends that I confided in, would usually be my mom or my aunties. This is the reason why we have such a strong bond with each other. We grew up together, we helped each other in need, then and now.

I was later blessed with little girls as cousins, and now, nieces. I have never felt awkward with them although I was the only girl in the house, and the youngest. Some would be surprise at my maternal instinct, given the circumstances. I helped my aunties / uncles / brothers babysit their kids, back then, to earn some money and of course, to be in their good book.

But for one particular cousin, I actually helped raising her. She was brought to the world when I was in Uni and I practically went back and forth so that I could cuddle and play with her, whenever I have the time during weekends, and on term breaks. She is the daughter of one of my aunties, the one that I'm really close with.I was doing all the motherly chores when I visited them. I woke up late at night to attend to her needs, bathed her and such. So, rather than being a cousin, I felt like a sister, a big sister that was protecting my little baby sister. At times, I felt like a mother to her. I love her that much.

Both of us, we always have this connection. Growing up, she wanted me to do all the things for and with her. Helped her studying, went shopping together. Took her out on a holiday, goofing around doing silly stuff. Every time I went back to my hometown during school holidays, I would stopped by her parents' place to pick her up so we can spend time together.

But that was when she was still a kid. She is now 14 and have a life of her own. She is now busy with many school and social activities, she hardly have the time to spend with me. She no longer wants to follow me to wherever I want to go or to take or drive her anywhere. She has this and that, and she would rather spend time with her friends than me.

Well, I guess that was the part and parcel of life. Now I know why mothers would like the kids to be kids for as long as they can. Because growing up will leave your heart hollow. And I'm just the sister. I wonder how my Auntie feels like.

I dreamed of hugging and kissing her when she was about 3  to 4 years old, last night. How she ran towards me and gave me this huge bear hug as if she could crush my bones to pieces. She then gave me a peck on my cheek and said, " I Love You."

Nowadays, I would consider myself lucky if I could get an I Love You, at the end of her text.

I must have missed her so much.


4 comments:

budakkecit said...

halamak, syahdu la plak baca entri ni. which gives me pictures of what to expect when my son all grown up.

i salute u for having strong bonds between families. I wish i hav the strength to gather and tie my uncle n aunties like urs. now working on my sibs.

InsyaAllah ada hikmahnye untuk semua ni.nanti kan bile da besar, mesti mak dia akan cite balik kat dia yang akan buat dia terkenang sume tu. itu pasti!

Leon said...

I know what you mean. My nephew used to like me reading books to him at bedtime, or playing with Lego but these days he's too interested in playing X-box. I end up sat on the sofa being ignored, while my partner and nephew do some button bashing.

I resent not being able to play Lego at 30 years old. I like it too much!

snots said...

Budakkecit: haha u still use that nickname i gave you. How are you? Has been a while kan?

What to do lah with these kids? But come to think of it, we were like them as well. Kawan kawan kawan. Hehe.

Leon: lucky if i can get a glimpse of my game-enthusiast nephew.

dolly said...

hi! i'm so happy i found your blog again :)

I hope u continue blogging.