Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Junk or Treasure?

Well, it is true that one's junk could be another's treasure..and nowadays, it comes with a price tag.

I have came across so many preloved websites, or blogs that offer their "old seldom used" stuff, or "impulse purchase" at a dirt cheap price. Ok it is reasonable if they offer you their designer's handbags that you can't afford to buy directly from the boutique even if it is on 50% sale; given that it is in good condition, well maintained, comes with the dust bag and a warranty card; but old used clothes? I don't want to be presumptuous to say that people are surely desperate for money or being judgemental, but I think it is better to give it away than to sell it for RM5 or RM10.

There are still a lot of poor people out there that could use a set of new clothes or two; and am sure by doing that you help to put a smile on their face too.

When I was young, every year my dad would collect our old but still wearable clothes and took it with him to work. Since his work required him to travel to the very nook and cranny of my hometown, so whenever he came across a poor family especially the ones with many small children, he would approach the family and gave them our clothes. He even once took me to that area and asked me to give it to them myself and since I was really young, stupid and selfish, I couldn't appreciate it as much because at that point of time I think all that I care about was either this girl or that boy would end up wearing my t-shirts, of which some of them I still fancy.

Nowadays, from time to time, we still collect our old clothes and ask my uncle to give it to anyone who needs it. I guess my dad's act of kindness has influenced him to carry on with the good deed all these years. He will make sure that we don't give out anything that would look better in a thrash bin rather than on people and still in good condition to at least hold well for few months if not years.

I know there are organisations out there that provide temporary storage and collect clothes, food, baby supplies and other stuff and would then help to disseminate these collections to those in need.All you have to do is to google them.

I’m not so much of a big charity drive person nor would I organise any charity event, but I guess whatever that we could contribute in making this world a bearable place for them to live in, means something.

1 comment:

Kate the Kannibal said...

That's so admirable. I wish my family was like that. We're giving and whatnot, but I guess I spearhead that campaign. I'm the one that says we need to recycle and whatnot. It'd be nice to have a family that's so forward like yours. You're very lucky.